Conduct and Student Discipline
The school rules are:
- Follow directions the first time to a polite request
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to self
- No name-calling put downs, swearing, or teasing
Students are expected to be respectful to each other and to the adults in the building. We recognize that conflict may occur as children learn to get along and we actively teach behaviors that promote respect for all. Bullying situations are dealt with on an individual basis.
Each teacher follows the school’s rules above in addition to age appropriate rules posted in each classroom/grade. We use Think Time Procedures, which are as follows:
- Warning/reminder of rules and expectations.
- If the behavior continues or the student has a serious offence, such as fighting, the student is given a Stop and Think slip and asked to identify the misbehavior and make a plan for improvement.
- Parents will be notified if a student has multiple Stop and Think slips within the day or has a severe offense.
- Chronic problems are referred to our T A T team, which is a team of teachers who problem solve, to identify behavior supports that will influence student behaviors.
- Severe offenses or continued problems may result in a conference with parents and or the principal.
Students start with a “clean slate” each day, except in cases of repeated inappropriate behavior. In this case, the teacher will start at the previous step the student was on. Severe offenses, such as fighting, vandalism, and defiance of authority, theft and offensive gestures or language may be referred to the administration.
Bullying is handled on an individual basis. We strive to teach appropriate behaviors to all students and will involve adults to give needed support to the children.